In short, I design Canva templates, and sell them on my Canva shop, on Etsy, and on Creative Market, and make a nice monthly income.
In fact, I have an online course where I teach exactly how I do this!
In this course, I've shared everything I know about selling Canva templates on the side, so that you too could start making at least $1,000 per month doing the same.
Before we see how to share a Canva design as a template, of course, you’ll need to have a Canva account.
Also, FYI, the option to share a Canva design as a template is available to BOTH free and Pro Canva users. That said, if you want to give Canva Pro a try, feel free to sign up for a 45-day free Canva Pro trial using my unique affiliate link.
The different ways to share a design
There are a few ways to share a Canva design.
Share the original design
When you create a design on Canva, you can share the design with anyone you choose to. But this is not the same as sharing a template, which we’ll talk about shortly.
But you can actually give access to your original design with a link if you so choose to. Just click the share button at the top-right corner, then from the Link share dropdown, choose “Anyone with a link.” You can then further customize what people can do once they click that link (edit the original design, just view it, etc.)
This can be useful if you’re trying to share a design with a team member who may need to make changes to the original design. Or perhaps you want to share the design as view-only to get feedback or simply to share a document without enabling anyone to make changes to it.
Share as template
Sharing a design as a template is different from sharing the original design.
When you share a Canva design as a template using a special template link, people with that link can click it and a copy of the original design will be created on their Canva accounts, and they will be able to make changes to it on their end.
Basically, people can make changes and edits to your design, but without affecting your master design (because they’re really just making changes to a copy of the original.)
That’s why this feature is crucial to those of us who sell Canva templates.
How to share a Canva design as a template on a desktop/browser
The video below will walk you through the process of sharing a Canva design as a template.
If you want a text-based tutorial, then keep reading.
- On a design window (that you want to share as a template,) click the share button in the top right corner.
- Under the share options, look for an option that says “Template link.”
- Don’t panic if you don’t see the template link option there. That section typically shows the buttons/icons you use the most. So, if it’s not there, simply click the “More” button (with the three dots) at the bottom of the “Share” options panel. This will open up even more ways to share your design.
- From there, you should definitely see the “Template link” option.
- Click on the “Template link.”
- Then you’ll see the “Template link sharing” option open up.
- Copy the link and share it with your buyers or clients or whomever you choose to share the design with, as a template.
How to share a Canva template from the mobile app
These tutorials are primarily for desktop/browser users. But since I’ve received this question a couple of times, I wanted to show you where to find the template link on a mobile app.
For reference, the following tutorial + screenshot is using an Android phone:
- Click the share icon from the top-right corner of the design editor.
- You’ll see that a bunch of share options will open up. At the top of this list, you’ll see a field with many different options and apps to share with.
- Swipe sideways through this list until you see the “Template link” option.
- Click it to get the template link.
[*Be advised, if you share a design that has pro elements with a user who’s on a free account, they’ll need to upgrade to a pro account in order to download the design files.]
And that’s it!
You’re now ready to share your Canva design as a template.
Want to learn how I make money on the side selling Canva templates? Then check out my online course—Side Income with Canva Templates.
Also, remember, you can have 45 days of free Canva Pro trial using my special affiliate link.
Free Webinar - 5 tips for selling more Canva templates
Want to make more money selling Canva templates? In this free webinar, I’ll give you 5 tried-and-tested tips to increase your revenue from selling your Canva templates. *You’ll be signed up for my newsletter.