In short, I design Canva templates, and sell them on my Canva shop, on Etsy, and on Creative Market, and make a nice monthly income.
In fact, I have an online course where I teach exactly how I do this!
In this course, I've shared everything I know about selling Canva templates on the side, so that you too could start making at least $1,000 per month doing the same.
Before we see how to share a Canva design as a template, of course, you’ll need to have a Canva account.
Also, FYI, the option to share a Canva design as a template is available to BOTH free and Pro Canva users. That said, if you want to give Canva Pro a try, feel free to sign up for a 45-day free Canva Pro trial using my unique affiliate link.
The different ways to share a design
There are a few ways to share a Canva design.
Share the original design
When you create a design on Canva, you can share the design with anyone you choose to. But this is not the same as sharing a template, which we’ll talk about shortly.
But you can actually give access to your original design with a link if you so choose to. Just click the share button at the top-right corner, then from the Link share dropdown, choose “Anyone with a link.” You can then further customize what people can do once they click that link (edit the original design, just view it, etc.)
This can be useful if you’re trying to share a design with a team member who may need to make changes to the original design. Or perhaps you want to share the design as view-only to get feedback or simply to share a document without enabling anyone to make changes to it.
Share as template
Sharing a design as a template is different from sharing the original design.
When you share a Canva design as a template using a special template link, people with that link can click it and a copy of the original design will be created on their Canva accounts, and they will be able to make changes to it on their end.
Basically, people can make changes and edits to your design, but without affecting your master design (because they’re really just making changes to a copy of the original.)
That’s why this feature is crucial to those of us who sell Canva templates.
How to share a Canva design as a template
The video below will walk you through the process of sharing a Canva design as a template.
If you want a text-based tutorial, then keep reading.
- On a design window (that you want to share as a template,) click the share button on the top right corner.
- Under the share options, look for a button that says “Template link.”
- Don’t panic if you don’t see the button there. That section typically shows the buttons you use the most. So, if it’s not there, simply click the “More” button (with the three dots) at the bottom of the “Share” options panel. This will open up even more ways to share your design.
- From there, you should definitely see the “Template link” button.
- Click the “Template link” button.
- Then you’ll see the “Template link sharing” option open up.
- Copy the link and share it with your buyers or clients or whomever you choose to share the design with, as a template.
And that’s it!
You’re now ready to share your Canva design as a template.
Want to learn how I make money on the side selling Canva templates? Then check out my online course—Side Income with Canva Templates.
Also, remember, you can have 45 days of free Canva Pro trial using my special affiliate link.